Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Quilt-as-you-go Table Runner (E)

A quilt-as-you-go table runner is one of the best ways to learn to quilt. I watched several online videos before starting my first project. I would recommend searching YouTube.com for "quilt as you go" videos. This is a link to one I found helpful.


In the video, they used equal 2.5 inch wide strips. In my case, I wanted to use fabric from my stash so my strips would feature varying widths. The pumpkin fabric was my largest remnant, providing enough fabric for the backing, binding and large strips. The search was on to find three-to-four more fabrics to match with enough available to make at least three, one-inch wide strips.

Next to planning.
I use a primitive method, a free spreadsheet application on my laptop. That limits me in accurately designing the project graphically, but gives me enough of a guide to wing it. So far it has worked.

Another issue was the length of the backing. In order to have a long enough piece, I had to splice in fabric. Rather than have one seam at the end of the runner, I added half to each end, hoping it would look more balanced, in case I ever opted to use the backside.

Since the black strips were two-and-a-half inches wide, they stood out and I thought they needed something. There were three strips and I decided they needed three "fall" words machine-embroidered on them: I chose blessed, thankful and family. Since the strips were already cut, I had to float the fabric on the embroidery hoop (a first for me) but it worked. Another challenge with embroidering these was the letter size. I used a large script font that came loaded in the machine. The length of the words meant I had to split the them in two files and use my repositionable hoop to complete them. That required alignment and learning how to use the features of the machine, something I'm still learning and this was good practice.

Like in the video (link), I started with the middle strip and worked my way down one side and then the other. With all the strips sewn, I added a decorative stitch along the seam of the black strips for a little emphasis. OK, honestly, it was needed to tack down a small section on one of the black strips where it wasn't caught in the seam. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the 1 inch gap until several strips later and didn't want to seam rip all the strips. I've learned from experience, there's always a way to fix things if you keep your mind open to possibilities.

In the end, my backing wasn't as large as needed and I ended up trimming three inches off each end making the final "pumpkin" strip seven inches instead of ten.  The sides also needed some trimming, so the final runner is 55 inches long by 13 inches wide. Rather small for a runner but it does the job of dressing up the table and protecting the finish from the fruit bowl we keep on the table.

The final step was to add the binding. First, the binding needs to be made and machine-sewn to the quilt edge. Crafty Gemini has a pretty good video but I don't like how she joined the ends of the binding (around the 6:50 mark). Missouri Star Quilt Company is another good resource and their video has a different way to connect the binding (video link), which I'm interested in trying. I have a third way I learned years ago and I'll share that in a future post.

I prefer to do the final step by hand (video link-Crafty Gemini). There is something calming and relaxing in the delicate hand sewing, making sure stitches are evenly spaced and hiding them under the binding. Yes, it takes a little longer than machine binding, but I like the satisfaction of hand-sewing and the final look it gives the project.

Another benefit of hand-sewing the binding is a chance to reflect on the project. For instance, while I was sewing this binding, I realized that all the fabric scraps were from projects I made for family members. The words (blessed, thankful, family) were more appropriate than I realized. My quick fall table runner ended up having more meaning than originally planned and I will treasure the memories for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment