Monday, October 10, 2016

Magic White

Do you ever cringe at underarm stains?
Frustrated with ink marks or grease stains in clothing?
Worried about using harmful or abrasive chemicals in your bathroom?

I stumbled upon this homemade concoction when researching how to make my laundry a little brighter. Since then, its uses have expanded and it's now my "go-to" solution for cleaning.

First, a little about the solution itself. It's made with only two ingredients: Dawn liquid dish detergent and hydrogen peroxide. I wanted to make sure these products were safe, or at least better than the chemical products sold commercially.

The original blue Dawn dish detergent is touted as being safe enough to use on wildlife caught in the oil spills. Indeed, I even found an article online recommend Dawn as a twice-a-year hair cleanser/shampoo for humans. OK, I'm not sure I would go that far, but it seemed ok as a cleaning product.
One note: The bottle warns to not use with bleach. If you're a "washing whites, gotta use bleach" person, do not use this concoction. I'm not sure what the reaction is between Dawn and bleach, but I'm not willing to experiment. I will take the manufacturer's warning at face-value and not combine it with bleach.
Hydrogen peroxide. The CDC has warnings about ingesting hydrogen peroxide, but I'm not advocating ingesting or even applying to your skin. They also caution on inhaling it. I have noticed that it does occasionally cause me to cough when I inhale the mist from the spray bottle. If you are concerned AT ALL about breathing the mist, use it only in a liquid state/pour bottle only. Peroxide is a natural disinfectant cleaner, so I still highly recommend the solution.
Two recommendations if using in a spray bottle:
(1) Avoid inhaling the mist by holding your breath (short time period/few seconds) or
(2) Covering your mouth/nose with a towel while spraying.
Second, here's the recipe and it's simple. One part Dawn to three parts hydrogen peroxide.
How I make it.
  • Purchase a small spray bottle (or regular bottle if you don't want to use the spray option), fill with water and pour the water into a measuring cup, and record its capacity. For me, the bottle was 2 cups so 1 part Dawn would equal 1/2 cup. Note for next step.
2017 UPDATE: Since this original post, I have stopped using the spray bottle and switched to a pop-up pour bottle, like a used (and thoroughly cleaned) condiments bottle. It still allows me to direct the solution to the spot but avoids the mist caused by using a spray bottle.
  • Pour 1/2 cup of the water from the measuring cup back into the bottle and, using a permanent marker, draw a line on the side of the bottle at the top of the water level. To aid my memory, I wrote the recipe (1 part Dawn:3 parts h. peroxide) on the other side of the bottle, again using the permanent marker.
  • When ready to clean (see steps below), pour Dawn liquid into the bottle up to the line drawn and then finish filling the bottle with hydrogen peroxide.
  • Put the top back on the bottle and gently turn over and back to mix the contents (without generating excessive foam from shaking the bottle).
Third, cleaning. With two cups of Magic White mixed in the spray bottle, it's time to clean.

  • Using the bottle allows me to use a small amount to quickly apply a light coat on the toilet bowl, shower/tub and bathroom or kitchen sink. The solution is safe for porcelain and stainless steel surfaces. Once a light coating is applied, it's time let it "soak" for a few minutes and move onto laundry.
  • At the washing machine, I lightly apply to the soles of white socks, underarms of garments (including bras) and any stains that need attention. The load of whites goes into the washer tub and sits for an hour or so without adding water. The remainder of the spray bottle sits on top of the washer, waiting for the next step.
  • Back to the kitchen or bathroom, wherever the solution has been "soaking," I pick up a Magic Eraser (you can use a sponge on the sink, or shower/tub, and a toilet brush for the bowl, if you prefer), and clean up the sinks and toilet bowls. If I maintain a regular cleaning routine, it's quick and easy, taking only a couple minutes to clean a bathroom. (I typically do this routine in the evening after cleaning up dinner dishes.)
  • After a couple hours with the laundry sitting in the washer tub, I return for the next step. The washer is started with warm water and filled just below the level needed for a good washing. The remainder of the bottle's contents is added to the tub and the spray bottle rinsed and stored for the next time. Once the washer tub starts to agitate, the washer is stopped and the loaded is allowed to sit overnight to pre-soak.
  • First thing the following morning, start the washer and increase the water level to facilitate a good cleaning. I also set the washer for an extra rinse cycle, just to make sure the clothes are clear of the chemicals.
It sounds like a lot of work, but it is surprisingly little. The soaking does the heavy work, you just have to remember to take a few seconds to revisit the washing machine.

Finally, what really sold me on this solution was when I was busy sewing a few months ago. I had just spent a significant amount of time completing machine embroidery, appliqué, and quilting on toddler bibs intended as a gift. In my haste, instead of grabbing my red marking pen to mark the quilting lines, I unknowingly used a permanent red ink pen. When I went to iron the ink marks away (love the heat marking pens!), the lines didn't disappear and I realized my mistake.

I tried the typical ink removal option of using hair spray. No luck.
I tried a couple other recommendations found on line. The ink remained.
Finally, thinking the bibs were history and would need to be thrown out, I decided to try the Magic White. I sprayed the bibs and left them sit on the counter for an hour. When I came back, I rinsed them under running water while scrubbing lightly with my fingers. It worked! Not only did the red ink lines disappear, but the colorful embroidery and the fabric did not fade. The bibs were saved. 

From that point on, I don't hesitate to use this solution on colored fabrics, or kitchen and bath fixtures. I haven't used it on stone countertops, but I'm curious to try. It is a natural cleaner/disinfectant and doesn't seem to have any abrasives or harmful chemicals so it should be safe.

My only concern is using the solution in a spray bottle and the resulting the inhalation of the mist, something I would encourage you to guard against.


No comments:

Post a Comment