Friday, November 17, 2017

Dreamy Hard-boiled Eggs (IP)

First, a little housekeeping. Although Papa and I continue to be working on do-it-yourself projects, we have been lax in posting those. Projects, especially interesting ones, do increase as the holidays get closer, so we post again.

Several models are available
This is the 7-in-1 6 qt. duo
I was introduced to the Instant Pot, an electric pressure cooker, about two years ago. I dappled with a few recipes, mainly pot roast, but didn't get hooked until this past year. Several friends have now become converts and I have a collection of go-to recipes. It's time to share.


One of the first recipes recommended to try is making hard-boiled eggs. I waited way too long to try this!

I hate making hard-boiled eggs. Getting that perfect, yellow fluffy middle seemed impossible. Peeling the eggs easily and having a smooth white outer surface was only a dream. Not any more.

Now I make 12-18 hard-boiled eggs at a time and they are flawless...thanks to the IP...and they are done to perfection within 15 minutes.

On Amazon
One of my favorite accessories for the IP is a basic wire basket found on Amazon. Papa removed the handles so the basket fits nicely inside my 6 qt. IP. It is also possible to bend the handles up and slightly in toward the middle and have the basket fit in the pot. This would be helpful for removing the basket. There are also more expensive baskets available on Amazon (around $25), where this basket is stainless steel and around $10.

Before I try things, there is time spent searching recipes and tips/tricks online. It's easier to learn from other's experiences! One of the helpful websites I found for hard-boiled eggs was The Prairie Homestead.

Recipe:
 - 12 to 18 large eggs
 - 1 cup water

  • Pour 1 cup water into the Instant Pot inner pot
  • Stack eggs carefully in the basket and lower into the pot
  • Seal the IP and put on Manual (or Pressure Cook) for 5 minutes*
  • When the timer beeps, leave for an additional 5 minutes* (this is NPR, or No Pressure Release)
  • After 5 minutes NPR, release remaining pressure and carefully open lid
  • Remove basket using potholders and submerge into ice water for 5 minutes*
*This is known as the 5-5-5 method or 5 minutes cooking, 5 minutes "resting" and 5 minutes cooling. These times are flexible and, as I found, need some experimenting. 

Five minutes was way too long for me and resulted in eggs with green around the yolks. Yuck! I like my hard-boiled eggs with the whites firm and the yolks firm and fluffy, not dried out or over-cooked. I finally ended up using 2-2-2 as my default. That means:
  • I cook on manual for 2 minutes
  • NPR for 2, maybe 3, minutes
  • Submerge in ice water for at least 2 minutes, or until eggs are cool enough to peel
That's it. Easy, perfect hard-boiled eggs. Oh, peeling is a snap, thanks for a great tip I found online. I'll share that in the next post.




No comments:

Post a Comment